Thursday, May 5, 2011

Soon to be Out of Control

The title of this post should be a clue as to how excited I was to find the PDF rules for Legends of the Rising Sun.  I've been waiting for these rules to come out for some time.  I first heard rumors of these rules around the time I was getting into Legends of the High Seas.  As soon as I heard about it, I knew I would want to jump into it.  It seems these rules have been out for a little while, and I'm a late comer.

Initially I was worried the rules would turn out to be some lame kung-fu game, with indiscriminate flying or killing enemies with moves like "Terra Raspberry Spike Attack."  You what I mean: a game that ends up playing like bad anime.  Well, I'm happy to report there is nothing like that here.  In fact, it's an honest attempt to bring 17th Century Japan to the skirmish games table.

So I purchased two packs of Perry Brothers Samurai models.  I'm anxious to get started on painting them and get in a game or two.  But this will soon be out of control, because I want to have all the gangs listed in the rules.  So I will need monks, peasants, ronin, ashigaru, etc.  In other words, I'll be buying a lot of these models.

I've also heard rumors from the guys I regularly game with that we might be able to do some Samurai wars.  So, that leaves me to wonder how to base these minis.  Should I put them on round bases for skirmish games or the square bases for war games?  Well, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.  For now, I'm pretty amped about these rules.  I'll post up when I get some of the models painted.

3 comments:

Robert said...

Round

Tim Kulinski said...

Round Jerry, heck use GW bases, that way you can use WotR movement trays!

Jerry said...

Round bases it is! Thanks for the suggestions.