Friday, December 30, 2011

Year End Post

Here's my ego-centric and totally me-focused year end post!  Think of this as Cliffs Notes for my blog this year.

The High Points of 2011
The biggest highlight this year was the rebirth of this blog and the general rebirth of my miniature gaming hobby.  For about three years I was in "maintenance mode" and not doing much.  Actually I was playing World of Warcraft in all my free time.  I saved a ton of money, though.  Being "reborn" in miniatures gaming means you just lost a few bills to get caught up on everything.

A few happy things I didn't expect going into the year:
  • My wife letting me take over the front room and drop a gaming table into it.  Pure win.
  • Building up three 28mm WWII armies over the summer.  Gotta remember how I did that.
  • Discovering a love for smaller games and non-GW games like Song of Blades and Heroes and a bunch of the THW games like Nuts!
  • Not burning out by July
My top game in 2011 was still LotR SBG.  I played in the Gathering in the Desert.  I also played a lot of games over the year.  I completed 700 points of Elves for The Tale of Four LotR Gamers challenge.  I also filled out my Far Harad army from about 275pts to a full 700pt force.  Overall this game got the majority of my focus. I still enjoy LotR as much as I did when I first started playing it.

The Low Points of 2011
Nothing really was a low point.  There were a few duds this year:
  • Infinity: Everyone's absolute favorite most best-est game of all time.  For three days.
  • Heavy Gear: Blitz:  A classic game beloved of fans.  Starter set includes two rule books: one that advises you to ignore the other rule book included with the starter set.  That should be a sign of something.  Starter set was missing parts for three models and assembly of the other models has given me a nervous twitch.
  • World War I:  At least I liked the rule books and they were on sale.
Other Thoughts
This section is here because I thought ending the post after "low points" was too abrupt.  I don't have many other thoughts.  I enjoyed the year, got in lots of games with good friends, and found my own gaming preferences.  Also, I was not maimed or diagnosed with a horrible disease.  Overall, this was a good year.

Here's looking forward to a wonderful 2012!  Thank you to everyone who has visited my blog this year.  I especially appreciate those who left comments.  I look forward to reading what people have to say.  Let's do it again next year.

4 comments:

Dagreenskins said...

You Rock Jerry. I look forward to throwing down some dice with you in 2012. Keep up the good work and keep painting, you are great at it.

Jerry said...

Same to you, sir! Thanks for the support and happy new year!

Mike G. said...

Infinity is still a good game. The problem is that Urban War is a million times better.

Jerry said...

Thanks for the demo of Urban War, Mike. That one is on my list, if just for some of the cool minis.

Infinity never got off the ground for me, and I spent money on it. Hence it's a "dud", as in something that I started and never got going. I still like the minis and will keep them for something else... maybe 5150.