Giving Myself A Break
I'm not even going to try to catch up on unpainted lead, like I promised last year. In fact, this year I'm giving myself a clean slate. I'm scratching unpainted stuff off my "must complete list" if it's not something I'm currently prioritizing.
This gives me a little more breathing room by putting aside some of my more "greedy purchases" of last year. I have a ton of 15mm WW2 that I'm not likely to get on the table. I can safely put aside all 40K models. Not sure if Kings of War is coming back, and can probably relax on my Dark Elf project. I'll be going through my list of painting projects to prune it to essentials.
Where I Think 2013 Will Take Me
OK, so enough about what I'm not going to consider! Here's what I'm planning this year.
|US Rangers lead the way in Bolt Action!|
- Bolt Action and 28mm WW2. I'm loving Bolt Action and loving that scale and historical period. So WW2 is going to be big on my horizon. I already have three armies more or less done (US, German, Japanese), and another in the works. More on that in another post.
- Fantasy Skirmish / Dungeon Crawls The Reaper Bones Kickstarter is going to send me over the cliff. I see myself playing a lot of Song of Blades and Heroes or similar games. I'll have a full gamut of fantasy models to use in dungeon crawlers... now just need a good rules set.
- A Sci-Fi Game replacement for 40K. This could be Gruntz or Warpath or a game I haven't discovered yet. I want something that allows me use of my current model collection (Warpath) or has a low entry cost (Gruntz). We'll see.
- Card Games! Oh how I love the Living Card Game systems put out by Fantasy Flight Games. I've got a large collection of Warhammer: Invasion, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and soon to add Netrunner to this. With the collectible factor removed, these games are economical and fun to play. Since these aren't mini games, I won't blog much about them, except for occasional stuff.
- More Board Games: Again not strictly miniatures, but they're fun for a change of pace. I got Super Dungeon Explore for Christmas, which has a strong minis component. I'd like to look at a few others, but am not entirely sure which ones.
Just a few things I'm looking forward to in the upcoming year.
- Relic Knights I got the Kickstarter and am hoping this game plays as good as it looks!
- Malifaux I got a starter box and the rules. The game looks easy.... just like differential calculus and parabolic geometry. I'm hoping I'll like it to justify buying more of the models.
- Dreadball / Blood Bowl: I didn't think I'd like sports games. In fact, the one game of Blood Bowl I played was exciting though confusing. Dreadball looks like it's going to be great. So new and old games to explore here.
Happy New Year to all!