Saturday, May 3, 2014

15mm WW2: Russian Infantry

I was on fire this week, assembling, basing, and painting the entire infantry force for my 15mm WW2 Russians. This is probably the fastest I've every got anything like this done, considering the models had to be assembled first.  I'll be using these for the Operation Bagration campaign book I plan to start soon. Coincidentally, the force is a copy of the 28mm Russians I did for a Bolt Action paint challenge last year.  The only difference being is I don't have an AT rifle in 15mm and it only took one week to do it in 15mm!

These are all Plastic Soldier Company 15mm plastic Russians. I really like these models, and have enough left over to do another platoon if I choose. I may actually do that, seeing how quickly these came together, though not for a while yet. There are a few Command Decision models here as well.

Going left to right across the picture I have an SMG squad, command squad, Maxim MG, four rifle squads, a forward observer team, medic and rifleman, mortar team.  You can see I paint colors on my bases to distinguish the rifle teams. This helps during play as well as clean up. The angle in these pictures really emphasizes the color, but on the table a lot of times you can't really see it.

Here are a few detail shots. This is the HQ unit. The commander on the left is a PSC model and next to him is a Command Decision model. You can see the PSC are slightly smaller, but otherwise scale well together.

This Maxim MG crew is a Command Decision model. I split a pack of these with a friend, and I still have close to three or so MG teams left over.  I only really need one for platoon sized games.

The PSC box gives you a number of female models, all in the same pose. I've chosen to use this one as a medic. I suppose you could use them as support staff. It would've been nice to have some armed as snipers. Also in the shot are Command Decision models for a forward observer team and the 60mm mortar team.

Finally these are the SMG team. In Bolt Action these guys can be nasty, as long as they arrive in one piece. At the very least they'll absorb ten wounds for your other guys. These are all PSC models and nicely done. The NCO figures for all the PSC models are really weird. They are either in a stiff pose like someone just gave them a suppository or they're covering their heads like this pose on the right. I thought it should be waving troops forward or calling to someone. Nope, they're running for cover, I guess.


This completes all the infantry models I will need for now. I will need to get an AT gun soon, but have had trouble finding just one model and not five. Up next, I have to complete all the armor I will need for the campaign. There are 10 vehicles needed and five are going to the PSC tanks. They'll take forever to assemble, but painting should go quick. Stay tuned for the results, hopefully by next week!

No comments: