Friday, June 27, 2014

20mm PSC German Heavy Weapons

Got to work this week on the massive pile of 20mm Plastic Soldier Company boxes that are clogging my hobby room. I knocked out a box of the German heavy weapons models. I didn't put together every model in the box.  Here's what I've got.

Click the picture for a bigger view.


There were models in this box that I couldn't imagine I'd ever need to have in multiples. Specifically that'd be the 80mm and 120mm mortars. Realistically those sized mortars would be far behind the troops and not on board. Still, Bolt Action puts everything on the table whether it make sense or not (they need to sell models, after all) and I could use them as objective pieces, etc. I just didn't want to make three of each in one sitting.

The models are excellent quality and I have few complaints. My only real gripe is that they give you six panzerschreks, but only enough models to build three teams. Since I didn't plan to build all six panzerschreks nor all mortar teams, I stole a figure from the mortars to fill out my team. 

I liked having the panzerfausts and wished there were a few more in the box. Six is a good start but a platoon could potentially have more than just six. At least with a disposable weapon like this you don't necessarily have to show which models have them. These guys came with a good amount of gear. I've no clue if it's historically accurate, but it looks good on these models and fits in with their other infantry figures.

The main thing I wanted out of this set was the MG42 teams. A German army can't have too many of these teams, and again my only complaint is I'd have loved to have more than three. These models look great. A little pose variety would've been nice.

Lastly there were the mortar teams. You already know my thoughts on my need for them. As far as the models go, they are excellent. I'll say the mortar model itself was nicely done and sturdy. So many of these mortars in other sets just lean together and need a gallon of glue to stay in place. These PSC mortars, however, were fitted together cleanly.




So that wraps up German heavy weapons. Now I will jump over to do the US heavy weapons teams before tackling all the vehicles. This turned out to be a far larger project than I was expecting. Still, when it's done I'll have a couple of nice looking platoons with plenty of options.

No comments: