Sunday, June 15, 2014

1/72 Scale PSC US Infantry

I completed a platoon of Plastic Soldier Company's Late War US Infantry in 1/72 scale. These models took a little longer than I expected. The paint job came out fine, but these pictures are not the best. My camera is out of batteries so I had to use my iPhone. Since I haven't updated for a while, I decided to post these okay pictures and take better ones later.

I was not as impressed with this box of PSC models as I was with the Germans. The box of US Infantry is stuffed with a series of bad model choices, and I had to buy a second box just to get enough rifles to make a platoon with HQ. That's a rip off compared to the German box.

The US box gives you two poses of six models with SMGs, and one has a walkie talkie radio. I chose to make the radio guy my LT, which means all three NCOs for my squads have identical kneeling poses. That's not too bad, but then you come to the BAR models. You are given twelve BAR models per box. That's just way too many, even for a late war platoon. Then the model choices get even more questionable. You have one unarmed soldier that might be holding a grenade, or might be trying to hold his pee. I can't tell. What good are three weaponless soldiers? Then you get three medics, and 3 two-man radio teams. Overkill. Polish all that off with three casualties.

Why did they fill this box with so much of this extra crap, including six models that are either dead or weaponless? You end up short of actual rifles and therefore must buy another box. It's cheap enough, but I shouldn't need a second box not with all the extra BAR gunners, radio teams, and guys with full bladders. There was space to put the rifles in one box.


Some of the poses are a little strange, but for the most part they're good with lots of firing poses. I didn't realize I had medics until I saw the cross stamped on their helmets. Since they have no bags they only have that one roll of bandages. At first, I thought they were binoculars. Otherwise, the weapons and all the other stuff look great. There are several marksman models with scopes, too. A nice touch for US squads. I know their suspenders are wrong, but I don't care.

One other complaint I had was that these models did not fit together as nicely as the Germans. There are a lot of gaps in these models where the arms join. Also, the flash and mold lines were pretty severe, and I had to choose between leaving the mold lines or filing away details, particularly on the faces and helmets.

So I wasn't as satisfied with these, but it's all done now. I really don't need more. I'll be adding support units like MGs and AT weapons to both US and German platoons. After that, I get to move onto the vehicles.

2 comments:

Fire at Will said...

I found the same problem with mine and the problems are compounded with the heavy weapons set. The worst bit for me is that the bazooka was in the infantry set in 15mm and is in the heavy weapons in 20mm, certainly should have been swapped with the medic/wounded pair of figures. The heavy weapons also have duplicate poses which is a cheapskate thing to do!

Jerry said...

I haven't looked at my heavy weapons box, but my expectations have been lowered after this box. I did not know the 15mm set had bazookas, which would've been better than some of the junk I got in the 20mm box.

There's a lot of duplication of poses in the American set and I'll probably end up buying other lines to break it up eventually.