Sunday, January 29, 2012

Elves of Another Kind

This week I finally took the plunge into my bag of unpainted lead and came up with a ton of Reaper miniatures that I've been intending to paint.  These models were to be my Elven warband for Song of Blades and Heroes.  I was originally going to model them after World of Warcraft's Silverwing Sentinels.  The Sentinels are supposed to have all female Elves as their warriors.  But that was about as far as I got. Once I realized how much conversion would be needed to make them look like "WoW standard" I gave up the idea.

Despite the number of figures I painted this week, it really was not too difficult to complete.  I kept to basic color schemes an kept the word "forest" in mind as I worked.  That solved most color choice problems.  The rest was just slinging paint.  Here's what I got done.

These are both female, but not sure if they're Elves.  The left one is a ranger type, while the other is an obvious rogue.  I kept the rogue in really dark colors, since she's supposedly stealthy. I gave her an accent of dark green to tie her into the rest of the elves. You can't see it too well in this picture.

Here are a couple of Brittany Spears wanna-be elves.  The left is a Pathfinder mini and the right is from Warlord.  These two lines scale well together, at least for elves.  But the Dark Heavens models don't fit so well.

Another Ranger type to the left, while the elf on the right is the closest I came to World of Warcraft types.  She closely resembles a Blood Elf, though lacks the gigantic ears.  I know Blood Elves have nothing to do with Silverwing Sentinels.  But at this point I didn't care.

So here's something different.  I picked the model on the left because of her gigantic chest.  Is that wrong?  I thought I could work her into the list as a forest nymph or fauna of sorts. She is supposed to be a Hellborn warrior, according to Reaper.  Next to her is the standard caster elf.  I really liked the way she came out.  I also picked different colors to break up the incessant green of everything else.


On the left we have the iconic rogue figure from the Pathfinder line.  Next to her is the only "dude" in the group.  I picked this model because I really liked the way it looked.  You can't see it at this angle, but he wearing chain mail under his surcoat. 


Back when I thought this was going to be a Silverwing Sentinel force, I picked up this model to make a Frostsaber tiger.  I still liked it enough to include it as a part of the list.  It will pair nicely with one of the bow armed models.

That's what I got painted this week.  There are a few other models for this SBH list that I painted earlier but didn't document. Now I present those below.
 The left model is from the Warlord line, a paladin type.  She's human and doesn't really fit the warband theme.  I liked the pose, though, so I got it anyway.  The right model is another elf.  I painted her clothing in very light tans and beige colors.  It almost looks like she's wearing nothing.  But she does actually have some clothes, more like lingerie really.

Finally, I picked up an Avatars of War vampiress model to lead my undead warband.  I painted this one a while ago, too.  Despite the awesome look of the model online, I was unimpressed with what I actually got.  There was a disfiguring mold line or some sort of defect that ruined her face.  She does not scale well with any of my other models.  It was just a huge disappointment.  I painted her anyway, and tried to do what I could with her ruined face.  Overall, it's not too bad; but the scale problem is so obvious that I can't really use the model.


That's all for now.  I really love painting these Reaper minis.  I love fantasy more than any other genre, and working on these models has me wishing I had more.  I do have some centaurs I picked up to go with the elves.  Maybe I'll work on those next.

No comments: